PRE-ORDER AVAILABLE NOW. RELEASE DATE JUNE 5, 2020
Combo: Long Time Gone on cd and a copy of By Heart: Poetry, Prison, and Two Lives written by Spoon Jackson and Judith Tannenbaum.
Judith Tannenbaum and Spoon Jackson met at San Quentin State Prison in 1985. For over two decades they have conferred, corresponded, and sometimes collaborated, producing very different bodies of work resting on the same understanding: that human beings have one foot in darkness, the other in light.
In this beautifully crafted exploration – part memoir, part essay – Tannenbaum and Jackson consider art, education, prison, possibility, and which children our world nurtures and which it shuns. At the book's core are two stories that speak for human imagination, spirit, and expression.
Long Time Gone- The Prison Music Project
In 2010, folk-singer and songwriter Zoe Boekbinder (they/them) visited New Folsom Prison for the first time. What they thought would be one interesting day turned into a decade-long collaborative project. Boekbinder visited the prison often over the next five years; performing and teaching music workshops quickly turned into the beginnings of collaborations with writers and musicians who were incarcerated within New Folsom's walls. This was the seed for the Prison Music Project and the culminating album, Long Time Gone, produced by Ani DiFranco. Releasing June 5, 2020 (Righteous Babe Records), the album features work by nine incarcerated (and formerly incarcerated) writers.
The profits of Long Time Gone and By Heart will benefit communities impacted by mass incarceration and the funds will be administered by the Southern Center for Human Rights.
For more information please go to our page: The Prison Music Project
CD is packaged in a 4-panel digipak with an 8-page booklet with artwork by renowned artist Matt Mahurin.
- Breakthrough by Abraham Banks and Zoe Boekbinder
- Monster by Greg Gadlin and Zoe Boekbinder
- Survivalist by Alex Batriz (Baby Shell Dogg) and Zoe Boekbinder
- Broken Vessel by Jacob “Drifter” John Allen and Zoe Boekbinder
- All Over Again by Ken Blackburn
- Coffin Song by Ken Blackburn
- I can’t breathe – Sincere and Baby Shell Dog
- Ain’t Trippin’ by Samual Brown (LSDrugs)
- Window Theater – Spoon Jackson
- Midnight Deal by Jacob John Allen and Zoe Boekbinder
- Part of a Family – Greg Gadlin
- Nowhere but Barstow and Prison by Spoon Jackson and Ani DiFranco
- Long Time Gone by Ken Blackburn and Zoe Boekbinder
- Just Another Link in the Chain by Ken Blackburn
- Villain by Nathen Jackson and Zoe Boekbinder